No doubt, we are always careful when we choose to open an account with a bank. We are even more careful when it comes to doing larger business with a bank. You need a bank that you’re sure is having a clean plate, and is reputed to be rich enough to survive bad economic times.
The following 10 banks are the biggest and best in Africa.
- Standard Bank (Stanbank) Group: At $172.9 billion, this South African bank has the largest asset size in Africa.
- National Bank of Egypt: This Egyptian bank’s total asset size is valued at $124.9 billion.
- Absa Bank: This is another South African bank and it has a total asset size of $87.8 billion.
- FirstRand: The third South African bank on the top 10 list has a total asset size of $81.9 billion.
- Nedbank Group: This South African bank has a total asset size of $78.6 billion.
- Attijariwafa Bank: This Moroccan bank has a total asset size of $63.8 billion.
- Banque Misr: This Egyptian bank has a total asset size of $57.9 billion.
- Banque Centrale Populair: This is a Moroccan bank and it has an asset size of $49.9 billion.
- BMCE Bank Group: This is yet another Moroccan bank and it has an asset size of $37.3 billion.
- Investec Bank: Lastly, we have South Africa’s Investec Bank which has an asset size of $29.9 billion.